Are you an avid gamer who spends hours battling terrorists in video games? Have you grown up playing Super Mario? If yes, you already have the right level of enthusiasm to become a successful games developer.
In the modern world, video games are an important part of our lives; even if you’re not into gaming, you probably know someone pursuing a games animation course or someone who spends all their money on the latest games and gaming tech.
If you think that some video games are difficult, this is nothing compared to the labour that goes into making them. Every single game is the culmination of the work of top computer programmers, graphic artists, content developers and games testers.
Even though serious gaming is a recent phenomenon, the gaming industry is already a booming industry. According to the BBC, the gaming industry generated a revenue of £3.86 billion in the UK in 2018, and a career in this industry can be rewarding and lucrative.
If you want to join this industry, read on to learn how to become a successful games developer. We’ll provide an insight into the job and give you some useful tips for beginning your career.
The job description of a games developer
Games developers are responsible for the planning, designing and production of video games for various devices like computers, phones or game consoles. While the job may require a certain creative mindset, it mostly involves writing computer codes to implement game features and functionality.
Being a games developer requires you to have a strong foundation in software development and coding. An HNC in Games Development or a computer game design course can provide you with all the skills required for the job.
How to begin your career in games development
As you need high levels of talent, commitment and extensive knowledge to become a developer, obtaining a professional qualification in the field, such as a computer animation course, can be useful.
Here are some practical suggestions that can help you establish a successful career:
- Pursue programming courses: Since games development is extremely technical and requires expertise in computer programming, most employers will expect you to possess the technical know-how needed for the job. Animation 2D/3D courses in London can build up your technical skills to a professional level.
- Learn coding languages: Games development ultimately boils down to computer coding. You need to master complex programming languages such as C#, C+, and C++ to build games from scratch.
- Start designing your own game: In addition to coding, you also need to have a fair knowledge of the graphic design and animation that goes into developing a game. The real-life graphics that you enjoy in a game take painstaking effort from graphic designers and animators. A graphic design course or an animation course in London can help you out.
- Obtain an internship: Since gaming is a technical industry, the chance to gain practical experience whilst studying can prove to be a game-changer for your career. Not only will you understand the concepts better, an internship or an industry project will also offer insight into the sector and will certainly improve your job prospects.
- Build a portfolio: An extensive portfolio of games you have developed can be your ticket to a well-paying position. A well-developed portfolio can demonstrate your expertise of the field, and your willingness to keep adding to your skillset.
In addition to these, you should focus on developing your soft skills such as analytical thinking, problem-solving, and mathematical skills.
To flourish in the gaming industry, you need the right technical knowledge along with a passion for tackling difficult coding problems. Pursuing game development courses can provide you an insight into what to expect from the industry.
If you are exploring several game design courses, you should take note of the HNC Computer Game Development course offered by the London College of Contemporary Arts (LCCA). The course is designed to offer an overview of skills including games design and development.
To get further details on the course and start your gaming career, click here.
This article was written by Sweha Hazari and edited by Anisa C