From the gleaming hotel lobby to your newly made bed with crisp sheets, professionals in the hospitality industry go above and beyond to make your staycation experience a pleasurable one.
Every person from the hotel manager and tour directors to the cleaning service and restaurant chefs are an integral part of the global hospitality industry. As the world’s economy has developed, people now have more money to spend on holidays and travel. The hospitality industry is growing at an unprecedented rate. In fact, the UK hospitality industry contributes to approximately 5% of the country's GDP.
With the industry’s steady growth, professionals with hospitality qualifications are in demand now more than ever. If you are interested in this industry, this blog will provide you with useful insights. It outlines the benefits of entering the industry as well as interesting career options that you can pursue after gaining a hospitality management degree.
What is hospitality management?
Every service you have received at a hotel or a restaurant constitutes an important part of hospitality management. This industry revolves around the motto of ‘customer first’ and it is, therefore, your job to ensure that your guests feel happy and welcomed.
Hospitality management includes all the tasks required to make your visit or stay a pleasant experience. It may involve hotel receptionists providing you with important information, the bellboy transferring your luggage to your room, waiters delivering food to your room or a tour guide recommending the best sites to see and places to eat.
Why should you consider a career in hospitality?
While a career in the hospitality industry may be a demanding one at times, this dynamic industry also brings with it many exciting opportunities, including:
- Rewarding job perks: Everyone enjoys receiving incentives for working hard and most jobs in the hospitality industry offer attractive perks such as travel allowances and various motivational bonus’ which are included in the salary packages. Spotting some major celebrities as well as being treated to free gourmet meals are some of the many perks of pursuing a job in hospitality management.
- Working in exciting locations: Imagine having your workplace as a pristine white beach or an amusement park, instead of a tiny office cubicle. With a hospitality job, you can enjoy the experience of mixing work with pleasure by working at resorts at beautiful tourist locations.
- You can make a difference in people’s lives: The hospitality industry is all about making people happy and ensuring they leave with pleasant memories of their trip. You can take away the immense satisfaction that your work has contributed to your customers’ happiness.
- Flexible schedules: Many jobs in the industry such as that of a travel manager or an event coordinator have flexible work timings. This means that you can maintain a good work-life balance and pursue your hobbies in your free time while also succeeding in your career.
- You can have the chance to travel across the world: Most people would dream of being able to have breakfast in London and dine in Paris on the same day. With a career in hospitality, you can fulfil make this dream a reality! Many professions, such as the job roles of travel coordinators and air stewards, allow you to travel to different countries and exotic locations to get a taste of a global lifestyle.
- There are numerous chances of career progression: Since the industry is service-oriented, you can have multiple opportunities to progress in your career. Often, professionals in the industry obtain entry-level jobs and advance to high-paying jobs without a college degree.
- You can change from one role to another: There are plenty of specialised jobs in the sector which require different skill sets. You can select a job that matches your skillset and easily adapt it to fit another speciality.
What career options are available for you in the hospitality sector?
There are countless exciting and well-paid jobs within the hospitality sector, bringing with it lots of varied job roles too. We have picked a few professions that could be an option for you:
- Air hostess/steward
- Food and beverage director
- Head chef
- Tour coordinator
- Entertainment directors of amusement park
- Hotel manager
- Tour guide
As most hospitality management jobs involve interacting with customers or tourists, a career in this sector will significantly improve and develop your interpersonal and communication skills. You also become proficient in using the latest electronic gadgets and as well as enhancing crucial management skills such as multitasking and problem-solving.
With a career in hospitality, you can fulfil your dreams of travelling the world and meeting new people every day. Though there are several ways to gain an entry in this sector; pursuing an HND in hospitality management or any equivalent professional degree is the most cost-efficient approach.
If you are considering pursuing a course, the BA (Hons) in Hospitality Management (top-up) offered by London College of Contemporary Arts (LCCA) would be an ideal choice. This degree can significantly boost your career prospects and employability by providing useful insights into the tourism and travel industry. If you want to take the first step towards a successful career in hospitality and find out more about the course, then click here.
This article is written by Sweha Hazari and edited by Amelia Hayward-Cole.