If you choose to study in London, you will get to experience what is widely believed to be the culture capital of the world. From festivals, art and cinema, to museums, theatre and architecture, London has a great deal to offer anyone studying in the city, especially those specialising in the arts.
Immerse yourself in the vibrant energy and diversity of this incredible city and make your time as a student here unforgettable. There really is no place like London.
Here are just eight of the many reasons why you should study the arts in England’s historic capital city.
1. There are more than 170 museums in London, 11 of which are national museums. There really is something to suit all interests. Some of the city’s museums preserve thousands of years of culture and history and you can visit a lot of them for free. The Victoria and Albert Museum in Kensington and the Fashion and Textile Museum in London Bridge are just two of the many for arts students to enjoy.
2. Around 17,000 music gigs take place in London every year across more than 300 venues, including the O2 Arena in Greenwich. The last few weeks alone have seen some of the world’s biggest acts perform in the city, including Beyoncé, AC/DC and Coldplay.
3. Roughly 250 festivals are celebrated annually in London, giving you the opportunity to witness the incredible costumes, music, dance, and much more. Europe’s biggest street festival, the Notting Hill Carnival, takes place in west London every August.
4. Approximately 200 shows entertain those visiting the West End every day. London is also home to The Globe theatre, where the first Shakespeare performance took place in 1599.
5. There are almost 1,000 art galleries situated in London, from the renowned National Gallery on Trafalgar Square and the Tate Britain on Millbank, to smaller galleries which can be found in the most unexpected places, including Hackney Down’s Banner Repeater and Old Street’s Cabinet Gallery. Any keen artist will have enough to keep them amused on many weekends to come.
6. For avid film lovers, there are more than 700 cinema screens across the capital. Leicester Square is home to three cinemas, with many more in the surrounding area. Many famous film figures have visited the cinemas in Leicester Square over the years, as it’s a popular location for nationwide and worldwide film premieres.
7. There are thousands of learning opportunities available across the city, from classes you can participate in to public talks. This means that you can explore every type of artistic talent you could possibly think of, from poetry and performance to photography and painting.
8. London is one of the world’s few fashion capitals, making it an excellent place to study fashion. With the bi-annual London Fashion Week, a wealth of boutique stores and the world famous Oxford Street, the city really is every fashion student’s ideal place to study.
Find out more about the advantages of studying and living in London.