Disability Services

Studying when you have a disability or learning difficulty can be a daunting experience. LCCA's Disability Services team offer support and guidance to those who need it. Whether you're studying full or part-time, the team are there to help you achieve your full academic potential.

We support students with a range of conditions. Some examples are listed below:

  • Long-term medical conditions such as diabetes, sickle cell disease, HIV and cancer;

  • Long-term mobility issues, such as carpal tunnel syndrome, RSI and paralysis;

  • Sensory impairments such as loss of hearing or sight;

  • Mental health issues such as anxiety, depression, schizophrenia and OCD;

  • Specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia, dyspraxia, ADHD and dyscalculia;

  • Autistic spectrum conditions such as Asperger's Syndrome.

Image (1)

If you have a condition that impacts upon your ability to study, you should declare this on your application form or inform the Disability Services of your specific needs. It is essential to do this as soon as possible so that you can get the support to help you to succeed.

Prospective and enrolled students can also fill out a Disability Declaration Form and submit it along with evidence. This helps us better understand how your condition affects you and what kind of support you require.

A letter from a doctor, specialist or professional practitioner (no more than one year old) counts as sufficient evidence. The letter must clearly state your diagnosis and, if possible, some information about how it affects you. The letter must be signed and dated. It can be submitted to us electronically or as a paper copy. For specific learning difficulties, we ask that you provide a copy of your diagnostic report.

All of your information is confidential and is only shared between departments on a need-to-know basis, with your given consent.

What support is available through the Disability Services?

We aim to make reasonable adjustments for students in need of support. Reasonable adjustments are modifications to study or assessment that can help a student overcome obstacles caused by a disability or learning difficulty.

The type of support offered varies depending on the nature of the condition but is usually provided prospectively and in two categories, including but not limited to the following examples:

Reasonable adjustments to study

  • Permission to record lectures/classes/workshops

  • Lecture materials/notes provided in advance

  • Extra library support

  • Special seating in lectures

Reasonable adjustments to assessment

  • Extra time for written exams

  • Deadline extensions for coursework

  • Special seating in exams

  • Permission to type exam answers

  • Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

If you are a UK student, you may also be eligible to receive extra funding from Student Finance England through the Disabled Student Allowance (DSA). This support is added to that offered by your college.

If you are eligible for the Disabled Students’ Allowance, you can receive funding for:

  • Equipment such as computers, software, ergonomic equipment and assistive technology
  • One-to-one support for specialist study skills, mentoring, scribes, mote-takers and interpreters
  • General allowances for consumables such as printer paper, ink and non-core textbooks
  • Additional travel costs such as a taxi service to and from your institution.
  • DSA does not have to be paid back unless you withdraw from your course. Should you withdraw, you may be required to return the funding given to you. 

To qualify for support through the DSA, you must meet the following criteria:

  • Enrolled on a full-time or part-time undergraduate or postgraduate programme of study;
  • Have a long-term disability, medical condition or diagnosed learning difficulty;
  • Are a UK citizen OR have been granted Indefinite Leave to Remain.

Student Well-being

The LCCA Disability Service also offers pastoral support to students who are in need of someone to talk to. The service is entirely confidential and is open to students who wish to discuss anything that may be troubling them about their study, physical health, mental health, social issues or any other general well-being issues. If students request or require further intervention, they may be referred to an external practitioner, such as their GP for further help. 

Students can make an appointment with the Disability Service by email or can request a referral through their tutors, programme leaders or other support staff.



Enquire now

Please fill in the following form and we will contact you as soon as possible.