At the London College of Contemporary Arts (LCCA), we know that Clearing can be a stressful time for students. To help you through the process and ensure you find the perfect course, we’ve put together some useful do’s and don’ts, so that when you are applying for courses through Clearing you can navigate your way through the process smoothly.
A large number of students go through the Clearing process every year to find the ideal course for their future career. Clearing is a fantastic option for college graduates, especially those who haven’t received acceptance from any university or want to re-evaluate their acceptance choices and pursue something else. If you aspire to start a dynamic career in the creative industries, why not apply to LCCA through Clearing? You can find a wide range of programmes that are accredited by GOLD TEF Awarded, University for the Creative Arts.
Clearing runs from 6 July to mid-September every year, and A level results are usually live by 13/14 August. Even if you haven’t received acceptance by then, you can improve your chances of being accepted through Clearing by preparing yourself and staying organised.
So, what are the Do’s and Don’ts we advise to students?
- Be prepared and persistent: It is important to remember early on that you might have to face a few rejections during Clearing. However, remaining level-headed and persistent will help you find the perfect course. Extensive preparation beforehand can also pay off, especially during results day when Clearing advisors from different universities are hard-pressed for time.
- Be an early bird: Clearing during A level results day can be hectic, as courses tend to be filled at the blink of an eye. It’s therefore a good idea to start calling the universities as soon as you see your spot in Clearing. Contacting admissions early can help you to secure admission onto a course in your chosen subject area, your preferred university (or even both!).
- Keep an open mind about other courses: It might be natural to feel dejected if you don’t get into your university of choice. You can however, still look at other universities that are offering your course specialisation, or something similar and call them to check if they have vacancies. If you aren’t familiar with a particular university, you can check its website to learn more about their courses and accreditation's. Keeping an open mind about other course options can make the Clearing process less stressful!
- Don’t hesitate to call universities in advance: Many universities allow students to start the Clearing process much before the results day. You can contact these universities on their Clearing hotlines to check if you meet the entry requirements and if they still have vacancies. Doing so can even secure you a provisional acceptance letter before results day. It can provide you with sufficient time to check out other courses as part of your back plan at a much more leisurely pace.
You can call our dedicated Clearing hotline on 020 3750 3832 or email us at email@example.com. Our friendly student advisors will be more than happy to guide you through the process and you can also chat to the academic team to learn more about your course.
- Don’t be too quick to decide: It’s important to remember that lots of people go through Clearing and go on to excel in their dream career, so don’t panic! Take time to think about your priorities to make an informed decision about your degree. There are plenty of great options out there, like LCCA’s industry-focused courses, so don’t give up searching!
And remember, take a well-deserved summer break! You have been working very hard up to this point and in preparing for your exams, whatever the outcome, make sure you get the chance to refuel and make the most of your time off!
This article was written by Sweha Hazari and edited by Amelia Hayward-Cole.