Starting and running a successful business in the creative industry is the ultimate dream for any creative professional who wants to carve their own career. Launching your own brand is an exhilarating experience and one that can allow you to create your own space within the creative industry.
However, starting a new business often means charting new territories, the prospects of which can sometimes be frightening and it can be difficult to take the leap of faith, especially if you don’t have a well-defined creative small business idea.
If you are interested in starting a creative business of your own and need some interesting ideas, we’ve got you covered. This blog covers 20 small business ideas that have lots of potential to become successful if you play your cards right.
Why should you consider starting a creative business?
Before brainstorming start-up business ideas, you should be sure of your motivation and reasons to start a creative business in the first place. While a corporate job can provide you with some financial stability, it can make you feel disgruntled with the lack of creative freedom in many aspects.
On the other hand, starting your own business allows you to make your own decisions and have free reign on leading your creative vision. Here are some other benefits of becoming a creative entrepreneur after your graduation.
- You can be your own boss
- You aren’t limited by corporate salaries and can earn a lot of money
- You can decide your own work hours and professional responsibilities
- You can build a legacy through your business
What are the top creative small business ideas in 2022 to get you started as a creative entrepreneur?
Starting your own business gives you the time and freedom to do what you love for a living. Depending upon the nature of your creative skills and your qualifications, you can choose any of the following creative business ideas to build and develop an established business or a freelance career.
- Freelance writing services
- Aerial photography
- Designing and flipping websites
- Selling online courses
- Establishing a café or restaurant
- Video editing
- Designing and selling online merchandise
- Personal shopping
- Making and selling handicrafts
- Running a podcast
- Event management
- Interior designing
- Jewellery making
- Home organisation
- Graphic designing
- Calligraphy services
- A baking company
Other interesting creative business ideas for start-up include starting a digital library, financial consultancy or becoming an artist manager.
What do you need to set up a creative business?
When taking the leap towards a freelance career, it can pay off to be as informed and prepared as possible. Here are some things you should address before starting to work on your creative start-up business idea.
- A unique selling point for your proposed product/service
- A comprehensive business plan to scale your company
- A realistic marketing plan to improve your brand awareness
- A well-designed website and engaging social media accounts
- A suitable business insurance plan
- A highly interesting product pitch to attract investors
- Well-designed infrastructure and supply-chain management for timely deliveries in case of an offline business
What skills do you need to become a creative entrepreneur?
Even if you get off to the right start, running a creative business requires enormous amounts of dedication and business expertise. Here are some of the skills you will need to become a successful creative entrepreneur.
- Passion for the trade and healthy levels of optimism
- Patience and consistency
- Networking and collaboration skills
- Managerial and organisational skills
- A capacity for quick thinking and learning
- Time management and strategic-thinking skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- A fair expertise in finance and legal matters
- Resilience and realism
A great way to acquire these skills would be to sign up for a business management or entrepreneurship programme. Such a course will help you understand how to run a creative business successfully as well as understand different aspects of business management such as marketing and finance.
The London College of Contemporary Arts (LCCA) offers a great BA (Hons) Business Management programme that can get you started. The course is designed to help you develop a plethora of business skills such as strategic thinking, problem-solving, and decision-making.
Even if you want to wait a few years before you start your own venture, the programme can prepare you for a wide range of entrepreneurial roles like business development executive, operations manager, or marketing manager.
Enrolling in the programme also gives you a chance to take a foundation year in Design and Creative Business Pathway, which can provide further expertise in running your own business.
Click here to enroll for the business management programme at LCCA today!