Programme Title: HND Photography
Awarding Body: Pearson
Duration: Two Years, Full Time
2017 February, June and October
Fees: UK/EU £6,000 (SFE funding available)
The Photography HND course provides an introduction into a wide range of photographical disciplines, allowing you to enter whichever aspect of the photography industry you wish. This introductory programme is well-suited to school leavers looking to gain a position in the industry or those hoping to study photography at university.
Over two years you will, in turn, concentrate on a number of different elements of photography. These include: fashion photography, location photography, photo journalism and darkroom practice. The broad variety of modules will help you discover which area of photography you are particularly passionate about and we will offer the career guidance you need to pursue that passion professionally.
WHO IS THE COURSE FOR?
The course is aimed at students wanting to develop a career in various strands of the photography industry such as Fashion, Photojournalism, Documentary, Fine Art, Advertising and Editorial. Our students also develop skills that can enable them to develop careers in a wide range of related industries such as Arts Administration, Education, Media Practice and research and much more.
WHY TAKE THIS COURSE?
- We foster a creative and professionally focused environment for each student to ensure that the knowledge acquired, contributes to the brokering of new connections and an empowering career.
- Through our curriculum and the diversity within the classroom and student community you can enjoy a dynamic, creative and culturally inspiring education
- Experience an interdisciplinary, discursive and innovative approach to Higher Education that involves the fostering of an enterprising and entrepreneurial spirit.
WHAT WILL I EXPERIENCE?
You will develop your technical skills of photography, whilst exploring images from a critical stance and develop your practical skills in the field or in and studio. The final semester will demonstrate the expert skills you have mastered throughout the programme through the creation of your own project. Through demonstrating professional skills, techniques and critical understanding, you will be expected to create a professional portfolio of work which will assist you in pursuing a successful career in the industry.
- Synthesis of a range of concepts, knowledge and skills relating to photography
- Application of complex theories to practice realistic work situations in photography sectors
- Independence of approach to study and the generation of photography evidence
- Ability to engage with complex and/or unpredictable situations in photography contexts
- Ability to take responsibility to manage and direct your own and others’ activities
- Insight and judgment in relation to the margins and consequences of error
- Research and investigative skills
- Ability to innovate and work in a creative way
Our HND provides you with the knowledge and understanding of photography needed to qualify for entry-level, industry positions as a commercial or fine art photographer, picture editor or researcher, or photographic assistant. In addition to technical proficiency and creative development, your education at LCCA will see you develop critical thinking, problem solving, and analytical skills, providing you with tools to help sustain a long and productive professional career. You may choose to progress onto higher education in the form of professional qualifications or a degree.
Age: minimum 18 years
- UK applicants: four GCSEs (C or above).
- Minimum two A levels (D or above) any NARIC recognised equivalence
- IELTS 5.5 (min. 5.0 in each component)
- PTE 51 (min. 51 in each component)
- TOEFL (IBT) 87 – min. L-21, R-22, S-23, W-21
Mature students: (over 21) are accepted subject to satisfactory literacy and numeracy tests, work experience (if applicable) and a strong personal statement