REDR AND THE WORK WE DO
Every year, hundreds of millions of people around the world are affected by natural disasters and conflict. RedR is an international disaster relief charity which saves lives by giving aid workers the vital skills they need to effectively respond, rebuild and recover.
Staff at RedR come from a range of backgrounds and all departments make an important contribution to our humanitarian work. An internship in the fundraising team will give you the opportunity to impact this work while gaining a practical events experience, ideal for anyone looking to develop a career in event management.
BENEFITS OF INTERNSHIPS AT REDR
If you are looking to work in events, fundraising or the humanitarian sector, an internship with RedR will provide a supportive, challenging environment that could help you launch your career.
1. A chance to be a valued part of a well-regarded global humanitarian organisation
2. A structured intern programme with ownership of specific projects/campaigns
3. Full induction with all departments at RedR
4. Support from the fundraising team in building a professional portfolio of work
5. Chance to gain knowledge of fundraising income streams (primarily events but with exposure to corporate, challenge, trust and major donor fundraising)
6. Professional career development with RedR’s HR team, including CV building, mock interviews and career development
7. A free place a RedR training course, if appropriate
8. Training on the Salesforce database
9. Expenses payment of up to £5 for lunch and £13 for travel each day
Purpose of the role: To assist the fundraising team with the delivery of special events including dinners, drinks receptions, an awards ceremony, and an exclusive fundraiser at London’s BT Tower.
Responsible to: Corporate & Events Coordinator
Working with: Colleagues within the Fundraising Department and external contacts as necessary
The Events Intern will support the fundraising team to successfully deliver a number of important events, helping to raise vital funds, thank supporters and cultivate key relationships.
Duties will include supporting the Corporate and Events Coordinator with preparation for special events including:
• An exclusive event at The BT Tower – to include event promotion, preparation of materials and presentations, dealing with guest enquiries, sending guest communications, organising raffle prizes, and attending the event as a key part of the event delivery team
• A Christmas drinks reception to mark RedR’s 35th Anniversary – helping to create and organise bespoke ‘Engagement Stations’ to showcase RedR’s work to guests; preparing materials, managing guest lists and RSVPs, assisting with logistics and catering, and attending the event to assist the event manager
• The BCI Awards (a black-tie event with 1200+ guests at which RedR is the beneficiary charity) – assisting with preparation for a silent auction and casino, preparation for volunteers, attending on the evening to support the event manager
The intern will also be expected to assist with:
• Preparation and delivery of bespoke Disaster Relief Challenge workshops for RedR’s corporate partners
• Carrying out research on a number of fundraising initiatives
• Supporting RedR’s challenge events programme
• Supporting the team and other events as opportunities arise
The intern will gain a thorough understanding of the role of an events manager responsible for a wide variety of events. They will have the opportunity to assist throughout the event cycle, from marketing and promotion, to sending invites and recording RSVPs, communicating with guests, preparing event materials, sourcing staff and volunteers, assisting the event manager on the day, and ensuring all necessary follow ups are done.
Interest in or experience of events management
Willingness to get involved with a wide variety of activities and tasks
Good time management skills and ability to use initiative to solve problems
Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
Excellent interpersonal and team skills
Computer literacy in MS Office
Understanding of the humanitarian/international development sector
Experience of fundraising or events work for a UK charity
Experience of using Salesforce and InDesign software
Email a CV and covering letter demonstrating your reasons for applying and suitability for the role to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that we may contact suitable applicants before the closing date.